Translate

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fragrant sushi rice



One question that plagues me everyday is .... " What do you want to eat tonight?"

Sometimes, I really have no idea. And sometimes, I know exactly what I want for dinner. For example right now, sitting in the lab waiting to take a time point for one experiment, I just want to eat cookies for dinner.

Well, I guess that's why I love browsing my blog list and surfing the blogosphere (for all the great ideas and eye candy). But even then, sometimes I just don't have the right ingredients or the energy to put into making the recipe, and so that's why I'm putting up this post on sushi rice - it's a very flexible recipe perfect for "one-of-those-days" when you're feeling tired, hungry, don't want to cook, and unsure what exactly you want to eat.

It's flexible in that, it doesn't have to be sushi rice, you can substitute it with any kind of rice. You can use orzo pasta if you prefer. Heck, you can just use spaghetti.

So away we go:


Ingredients:
1 cup white sushi rice
1 cup short grained brown rice
(Here is where you can play around with the kind of starch you want to use)

4 tbsp rice wine vinegar (or a balsamic vinegar if you are using a wheaty starch)
Oil
5 g ginger, minced (or 2.5 g ginger powder)
2 red onions, sliced (or white onions, or green onions, or if you don't have onions, use 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly)
1/2 cup peas (or 2 huge handfuls of spinach if you don't have peas, or some broccoli florets)
1 handful of cilantro, chopped (or handful of parsley, or thai basil or even regular sweet basil)
Salt and pepper to taste

Steam rice or cook pasta to the consistency of your liking. Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry ginger and onions in oil until browned slightly, then add peas/veggies, and cilantro. Salt and pepper this.

Once rice is done, pour in the rice wine vinegar and a little oil into the rice and stir to coat each grain. Directly add in the onion mixture and combine.

Serve immediately by eating right out of the rice cooker pot/pasta pot/whatever vesicle used.



4 comments:

  1. I just love the idea of using sushi rice :) i always have it in but a rarely make sushi.. This sounds pretty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and i just saw your comment about guest posting! That would be super!! Drop me and email at messmakesfood@live.com and we'll sort details out. Lovely to have to offer, can't wait for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful recipe. Something new. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love the color! Looks really yummy too! I will try this very soon. Thanks for the recipe, Jen!

    ReplyDelete